US Travel Authorization

One More Thing For Documentation

What is a US Travel Authorization?  Who needs it?

This is for our international readers who want to visit the US. 

If you are a citizen of one of the countries who does not need a visa...

The 35 countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program...

You will now need to obtain an authorization from US the Department of Homeland Security. 

This is called the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

This program has been a voluntary program for the last few months, but it is now mandatory.

The Visa Waiver Program

The Visa Waiver Program allows foreign nationals from certain countries to travel to the US for business or pleasure, for stays of 90 days or less without obtaining a visa.

There are currently 35 countries which participate in this program as of this writing....  

Andorra, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brunei, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Malta, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom

The Electronic System for US Travel
Authorization Mandatory from Jan. 12, 2009

The Department of Homeland Security issued this advisory about ESTA...

"Beginning Jan. 12, 2009, all nationals and citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) countries will be required by law to obtain a travel authorization prior to initiating travel to the United States under the VWP." 

They have set up a secure website for electronic application for this US Travel Authorization.

We'll send you to the US Customs and Border Patrol's page about ESTA. Click on "Apply here" for the electronic application.

ESTA Basics

There is currently no fee to apply for a US travel authorization, but the government says that there may be an application fee in the future. 

Travel authorizations are valid for two years from the date of authorization, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. 

You will be asked for your name, birthdate, country of citizenship, home address, the usual passport information, where you will be staying in the U.S. and how you are arriving if you know.

They also ask if you have a communicable disease...
....or are a drug user,
....if you have been arrested for certain crimes and on and on. 

If you get a new passport or information on your passport changed (like if you get married and change your name) you will need to apply for a new travel authorization. 

If Denied, You May Still Apply For A Visa

If you receive a "Travel Not Authorized" response to your application... may apply for a visa.

The government says...

"The denial of a travel authorization only prohibits travel under the Visa Waiver Program and is not a determination of eligibility for a visa to travel to the United States."

The Bottom Line

We're just informing you about the new law.

For complete information, go to the website listed above.

To be an international traveler, you need to stay alert to all the changes that are going on around the world.

In this case, it's another layer of documentation to worry about. 

To Our Fellow US Citizens

To our fellow US citizens, you should stay alert too.

With this new law implemented, there may very well be reciprocal requirements applied to us -- US citizens -- to travel to the countries that are affected.

It all seems to add to the hassles of travel, but don't let it stop you from exploring the world.

We believe the world is a better place when more of us travel and get to know one another.

So just stay alert for any new government regulations and keep on traveling.

Happy travels... even if you don't travel the world... just remember that life is a journey... embrace and enjoy it! Judy and Mark

Curious about what else we've written about?  Search our site for a destination or travel tip.

Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Infringement Tool

But... We'd love to have you share this page or comment on it…
Thanks, Judy and Mark

Go from US Travel Authorization to MouseToursTravels Home Page

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Did it help with your travel planning and preparation? Eager to leave on that next vacation? Please leave your tips or comments in the box below.

Ready For A New Adventure?

We escape by traveling…
But there are more ways to escape. 
Work on something you LOVE…
With A Website
SBI Teaches You Everything

First Day Of The Rest Of Your Life

Timely Tips

Spring is here in the Northern Hemisphere...
The almonds and mustard are blooming
The grapes will soon bud out

California Spring - Grapes, Almonds and mustard

It's Fall in the Southern Hemisphere
Great time for an
Australian Wine Tasting Drive.

It's a great time to travel almost anywhere in the world!

DreamTrips can get you traveling sooner and cheaper that you thought possible

Are you planning your travels?
The weather can be changeable, so be sure to pack layers and some rain gear...

See all of our Packing Lists and Tips.

We're busy planning our travels
The Central Asian Silk Road should be an adventrure!

Where Do You Want To Go?
Things to See in Europe
Travel In America
Does Africa Call?

Don't just dream about it...
Start making plans!

Custom Tour Planning List
International Travel Planning Tips
Foreign Is Fun - Not Scary!

Check Your Passport
Do you have yours? Is it up to date?
Get Your Passports and Visas


Search MouseToursTravels
Travel questions or destination info?
Find our answers faster..


We want you to feel comfortable out in the world and on our pages - so surf away in your own language...

Updated Tips & New Travel Stories

  1. Travel Security Alert Packing Guide - Tips To Comply With Airport Security Rules

    Stay alert to what you can take and where to pack it when you fly. Our travel security alert packing guide will help you prepare for your flight and get through security checkpoints.

    Read More

  2. Acceptable Identification Document For Travel - What Qualifies?

    When you go through airports, you need an acceptable identification document, so what qualifies?

    Read More

  3. 2016 Travels - International and Domestic Adventures

    Our 2016 travels took us on domestic and international adventures… to look for culture, wildlife and antique airplanes.

    Read More

Two Ways To Like Us!

Like Our Site Top Left
Like Our Fanpage Below
Thank You!

Navigate Our Site

Document Information
Passports and Visas

What Is A Passport
Passports - How To Get One

What Do Passports Cost?
Acceptable Identification Document
Collecting Passport Stamps

What Is A Visa?
All About Visas
Getting A Visa
Visa Requirements

Other Documents
U. S. Passport Card

U. S. Travel Authorization